Today I’m back to talk about rain (yes, my life really is that exciting!)
It’s nearing summer here in the UK – evenings are light and bright, humidity is up, and it’s raining constantly. Half-term is upon us and the whole thing is going to be a huge wash-out. If you’re managing to escape the thunderstorms then you’re still experiencing rain, dark clouds days, and fog.
Whilst I can’t stand thunderstorms, I love rain, especially heavy rain. For me, it’s incredibly calming and cleansing for the soul, so I embrace this time of year and our above average monthly rainfall. It’s a time for me to reconnect and reflect upon myself. But for others, this is the worst type of weather, especially if you’ve got kids.
So, here’s a list of things to do when it’s raining to suit every person regardless of age or personality:
- Go for a walk and indulge in splashing in puddles.
- Dance in the rain. (Cheesy but fun!)
- Gather all your blankets and cushions and have a movie marathon or binge something new on Netflix.
- Build a pillow fort.
- Find some objects outside and take them to a large puddle to see what floats or sinks.
- Spend a day doing some colouring in.
- Spend a day doing arts and crafts.
- Make rain art.
- Try out some new hobbies.
- Learn a new skill.
- Read that book that’s been sitting on your shelf since forever.
- Spend the day baking.
- Play board/card/video games with your family/friends.
- Make a time capsule or a memory box.
- Have a home spa day.
- Go to an actual spa for a spa day.
- Have a home clear-out and tidy up.
- Organise clothes/books/ornaments you no longer want to take to a charity shop.
- Catch up on any work you have to do.
- Listen to new music.
- Enroll on a free online course (I love FutureLearn for this!)
- Go and see a show at your local theatre.
- Go to your local library.
- Go to an art gallery or museum.
- Put together a photo album.
- Try out a new hairstyle, or if you have kids, play hairdressers.
- Go to the cinema.
- Go bowling or to an arcade.
- Make a playlist for someone you love.
- Make a playlist of all your favourite songs.
- Learn how to cook something new.
- Make paper boats and race them in large puddles or ponds.
- Play hide-and-seek.
- Go to your nearest aquarium.
- Make pasta pictures.
- Have a fashion show with the clothes in your wardrobe.
- Research your family tree.
- Phone a friend you haven’t seen/spoken to in a while.
- Write letters to international friends.
- Have a tea party. Real or imaginary, that’s up to you!
- Make a list of things you want to do before you die, or if you fancy something less morbid, a list of things you want to do before your next birthday.
- Play around with your home decor or redecorate a room completely.
- Start a diary or journal.
- Make a really decadent hot chocolate with loads of cream, chocolate, marshmallows, sweets, or anything else you have in your cupboards that would go in!
- Try a new restaurant.
- Find a muddy spot in the garden or a park and make some mud pies.
- Upcycle some boring furniture.
- Do some karaoke at home or at a karaoke bar.
- Write a story or a poem.
- Sleep. If you have nothing to do, you don’t want to deal with the world whilst it’s so miserable, and you have the option, take a nap and have a duvet day!
What are some of your favourite things to do when it’s raining and how has the weather been where you are?